The annual turnover of Spanish eCommerce exceeded €70,000M for the first time in 2022: +25% (CNMC)

According to the data provided by the CNMC, the state of electronic commerce in Spain inherits and improves the positive trend revealed in previous years. So much so that eCommerce has reached an all-time high in our countrywhen billing no less than €72.4 billionwhich means a growth of 25% in relation to the 57,747 million invoiced in 2021.

Likewise, 2022 closed in style, since its fourth trimester was the one that presented the highest volume of business, with a turnover of 19,650 million euros.

And the sector of activity that took the largest portion of the pie in this last stage of 2022 was that corresponding to the travel agencies and tour operatorswho accumulated a 7% of total billing. In the same period of 2021, this sector was in third place, so it can be seen how in 2022 it managed to complete its successful recovery after the pandemic.

The rest of the sectors that achieved the best results in terms of revenue during the last quarter of 2022 were: clothing (6.9%), air transport (5%) and gambling and betting (4.5%).

Graph showing the branches of activity with the highest percentage of eCommerce business volume in Spain in 2022

Online transactions skyrocket in the 4th quarter of 2022

Another positive piece of information is found in the volume of online transactions carried out the previous year, the total of which amounts to 1,347.6 million transactions. If we break down this figure by quarters, we observe that in the fourth quarter of 2022 the number of transactions skyrocketed, reaching 375.7 million12.4% more than in the same period of 2021.

At the head of sales during the fourth quarter of 2022 are the gambling and betting (7.4%)followed by restaurants (6.6%), ground passenger transport (6%) and clothing (5%).

Graph showing the quarterly evolution of eCommerce transaction volume in Spain in 2022

Geographic segmentation and cross border e-commerce

Considering the data related to geographic segmentation, we appreciate that during the fourth quarter of 2022he 41.9% of revenues were destined for Spain. While the remaining 58.1% corresponded to purchases originating in Spain made abroad.

As for the foreign net balance (the difference between what is bought from abroad to Spain and what is bought from Spain abroad), this yielded a deficit of 9,388 million euros. 35.6% of the sales transactions were destined for Spain, and 64.4% abroad.

Graph showing the destination of ecommerce transactions in Spain in 2022

He volume of business corresponding to transactions originating in Spain and directed abroad it was of 11,424 million euros (12.5% ​​more in relation to the fourth quarter of 2021). 93.7% of purchases from Spain abroad were made in shops located in the EU.

For its part, the branch of activity with the highest volume of business from Spain abroad was clothing (9.9%), auxiliary services to financial intermediation (6.3%), games of chance and betting (5.5%) and air transport (5.1%).

Graph showing the branches of activity with the highest percentage of ecommerce business volume from Spain abroad in 2022

The sales from abroad with Spain were located in a billing of €2,036 millionwhich is 30.9% more than in the fourth quarter of 2021. Likewise, 59.9% of purchases from abroad came from the EU.

Graph that shows the distribution of electronic commerce from abroad with our country by geographical areas

Finally, the branches of activity with the highest volume of purchases from abroad with Spain are once again those related to the tourism sector, everything that includes travel agencies, air transport, land transport, car rental and hotels, accumulating 55.9% of purchases.

Photo: Depositphotos

Stay informed of the most relevant news on our Telegram channel