How to make an emergency plan against fires at home
Domestic fires are an ever-present risk in any home. However, there is a good chance that it will be a mere scare if the necessary security measures are taken. So, have a family contingency plan against fires can significantly reduce the scope of these accidents. To improve the safety of your life we want to teach you how to make a emergency plan fire protection.
Building a good fire emergency plan
Anticipation is the key to reduce damage in a fire. Therefore, before even thinking about the plan or the route, a series of premises must be taken into account:
– You have to determine the chain of command. That is, of the members of the household, who will direct whom and in what circumstances, to avoid clutter in a crisis situation. You have to establish a clear leader in general and determine who it would be according to each combination of people.
– You have to determine the roles of each person according to their abilities. The number of tasks should always be the minimum. For example, go for the children, take the fire extinguisher, take the keys to the doors and windows (if they are windows with fire safety bars). It is essential to take advantage of the strengths of each member of the household to make the plan most effective.
– You have to make the plan as simple as possible so that there are no doubts. It is also key to always leave everything in writing and, if possible, make a “sketch” or drawing for children that they can easily understand.
– The plan must be dynamic. That is, it must be adapted to different situations taking into account:
– That the plan considers different areas of the house depending on the source of the fire and takes into account what to do if each of the spaces is blocked or disabled.
– The number of people and the state in which they can be found.
– Establishes how to communicate the fire to the Emergency Services and to whom.
– Consider what to do if the plan fails, that is, you have a plan B.
What is the safest route to escape?
Now that we are going to elaborate the plan, we must think safe routes for home evacuation. Broadly speaking, these would be the characteristics of a good evacuation plan:
– You have to know the house plans. We will take into account the fastest exit to the corridors and corridors. Thus, examining each room, we can determine which route to plan.
– On our tour we will want avoid flammable objects. Regardless of the origin of the fire, objects that burn more easily must be avoided (sofas, armchairs…). One way to facilitate this task is to place these objects in strategic areas, so that they do not pose an obstacle in transit areas.
– We must include small tasks in our plan, for example, if we see objects with a high risk of catching fire, we will move them away if possible.
– Have alternatives: we cannot only think of a way out, since the point where the fire started you can block it.
What to do in a house fire?
First of all, remember that you have already considered this possibility and that you have a plan to follow. Second, alert the rest of the family to start the plan to abandon the house. Making sure above all that the children are accompanied.
It is important always move crouched, if you do not perceive smoke at any point in the house, perhaps the fire is still easy to contain. Quickly assess the situation to put out the fire (if you have fire extinguishers at home) or leave the house. Only then, call the emergency services dialing 112.
Find out what fire fighting systems can be installed at home
Danger factors (and how to avoid them)
– Make sure that home furniture It’s not all wood. This is possible with glass tables, metal shelves, etc. There are endless possibilities, you just have to think strategically without losing your sense of aesthetics.
– Your safety first. If you have children at home and you must go to help them, first make sure that you are safe. Otherwise you can endanger them too. Don’t play the hero Don’t try to put out a fire that exceeds the capabilities of your extinguisher.
– Install smoke detectors. It is one of the preventive measures more effective, since these alarms put us on alert as soon as the fire starts so that we have more time to leave the house.
Discover the anti-loss detectors that can be installed at home without works
– Do not go for valuables or carry objects. This it will make it difficult to escape and it will put you in danger. Your life is worth much more than any possession.
Be prepared if a fire breaks out at home
A safe life at home starts with a good prevention strategy. One last tip is to plan a drill after preparing the fire plans. You will put them to the test and, incidentally, you will know what to do when the time comes.
If this content has been useful to you, you may also want to know: